Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete presentation
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:03:37 -0500

Slide 10:
Counting all of headers and source files (including libgag), it amounts to 98,478 lines. Counting all source (including lib gag), its 76,244 lines. Including header and source without libgag, its 85,313, and without headers or libgag, 66780. Not sure why you didn't include headers or libgag.

Slide 13:
Boost listed twice, ogg not listed.

Slide 17:
No longer based on udp, now tcp, and not P2P  but YOG based routing (the metaserver) at the moment
Latency uniform only per game, the exact latency adjustment is set before the game by the server, ranging from 320 ms to 2000 ms .
The NAT problems are eliminated at the moment, since everyone does outgoing connections to YOG.

I'll give you some real numbers for our current (release) bandwidth usage, these are kb/s for the server, including both incoming and outgoing data.

One player: 0.045 kb/s
Two player: 0.092 kb/s
Three player: 0.268 kb/s

I can't get much more data frame-rate loss starts to intervene (I'll have to do this again with multiple computers). But technically, based on th 45 bytes per second, an 8 player game would run at 0.045 * 8 * 7, or 2.52 kb/s, to route for all 8 players. Someone on dialup has enough bandwidth to host an 8 player game. We are pretty low in bandwidth use.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.