Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Globulation 2 FOSDEM presentation : draft of complete presentation
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 23:31:51 +0100

> I've read in a network paper written by age of empires programmers that
> changing the latency in-game can frustrate the players because it makes
> things unpredictable on a low level. I didn't know we had auto-tuning in
> Alpha 23 and back. In Beta 1, the latency adjustment was fixed absolute at
> 12 orders, 480 ms. Now, the server uses player-pings to decide the latency
> level by adding the highest ping with the second highest, and adding 20%
> error margin, and then rounding up to the nearest rung.

Yes but we are not AOE, players do not have to perform micro-management.
Auto-adatation (potentially with a very pessimistic bias) should enable the
game to adapt to low latency internet connections easily.

> We have rungs at 8 orders: 320 ms, 14 orders: 540 ms, 20 orders, 800 ms, 25
> orders, 1000 ms, 30 orders, 1200 ms, 38 orders, 1500 ms, and 50 orders,
> 2000 ms. It gives you the best performance considering your pre-game pings.
> The ping itself is an average of 10 pings with the highest 2 removed.

I do not understand this part, could you clarify? Thank you.

Have a nice day,

Steph

--
http://stephane.magnenat.net