Re: [glob2-devel] re: should turrets attack air

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] re: should turrets attack air
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:32:04 +0200

>> Why not just add a wall upgrade that can attack explorers ?
>
> instant death if the explorer passes directly over the wall. and no
> automatic avoidance. zapp :)
>
> Or the L2 wall is so high that the explorers crash into it and break
> their neck (no cost per shot)
>
> Or L2 *turrets* use a constant rate of wood (oil? papyrus?) to turn
> into lighthouses and bind hostile explorers to them like moths until
> they starved to some 10%hp. Once bound to a turret they can not do
> other than stay there. nevertheless they hurt the workers that try
> to suply the turret.

A bit hard and I smell micromanagement for explorer users.
But it sounds nice nevertheless.

How about:
The lighthouse idea with repelling instead of attracting.
Or make it spread a no-air-attack area.

I believe that we should put more control to the map makers.
Instead of hard coding what an level 2 upgrade will be and
how much it will cost, we should only provide possibilities.
If someone things it would be fun to have racetrack level 3
shoot air attacks - why not?
Although this can't be the default setting.

But the lighthouse example above clearly shows that there
are a lot of good choices for one building.

Well another idea:
We could use different building characteristics for race customization.

A warrior race example:
 aggressive towers
 barracks start with level 2
 schools can't be upgraded above level 2
 warrior production in swarms cost less
 barracks train faster

Of cause this also belongs to the user level.
Programmers only provide the interface.

--
Kai Antweiler