Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 20 Preperations

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Alpha 20 Preperations
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 12:53:54 -0700

On 7/18/06, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
People ! Please stop dreaming too much about rewrites. There is actually
several half-rewrites in glob cvs :
- map-rewrite (Andrew)
- unit-rewrite (Nuage, Nct)
- qt (Marv, Nct)
They all are stalled somewhere. Any major rewrite means handling a lot of
complexity, and this requires time and concentration.

Now we need a 1.0 release with actual code-base, then we can rethink what we
want and do serious rewrites. If we begin rewrites now in HEAD; 1.0 will
never get released.

Steph

Steph, steph, you should know AppleBoy has no real understanding that
big changes take time :) . I, myself, have been trying to be less of a
visionary, and I may (not will) re-attempt the map editor with a less
ambitous method.

Anyway, I agree we should postpone all changes untill after 1.0.
However, the problem is that we don't know when 1.0 is. Whats left
that we want to do? We need to work on getting  1.0 done, right now
the project is almost stasis, although it sounds like 1.0 is getting
closer.

So, vote by everyone: What do you think should be done before 1.0?

Personally, I'd like to see the map editor redone, a better campaign
and better campaign menus, perhaps a good decision on the strategy of
an "ultimate hard" AI that I could create so we can release the game
with atleast some difficult solo play, and lastly, I would like to see
net-bugs ironed out. Sounds like another net-rewrite, but hack fixes
will work for now as long as we are in an understanding that we'll
make a real solution eventually.

My summer time has been cut short, and I'm not yet sure if I'll be
able to work on glob2 at all. Hopefully I will, but anything can
happen.

--
Start and finish, Bradley Arsenault