Re: [glob2-devel] Some feature requests & discussion

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Some feature requests & discussion
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:43:25 +0100

> Excessive processing power? Come on - we don't need some perfect
> repartition of the warriors inside the areas... All we would need is to
> find some hack that makes that the units also go to areas that are further
> appart from where all warriors are! What about just a random - when a
> warrior decides to go to a guard area, it choses a radom one that is within
> a distance that can be reached.

Well, please try to understand how the system work before saying things can be
solved by easy hacks. Actually there is one gradient for all guard areas of
one team and the unit just do a gradient descent. If you want to do per-guard
areas, that's much more memory, but also a clustering algorithm, not very
difficult but takes human times to do and computer time to run, then you need
to find some sort of score otherwise warriors will always walk between areas.
So you can see, that's not so easy as a "quick hack".

> Yes right - I forgot prestige. That strategy would also be more fun if
> there's something more "interactive"... Such as what about an upgrade that
> raises the level of prestige the other people must reach to win... Just an
> idea!

This is a great idea we should implement soon; I really like it !

Steph