[glob2-devel] Some feature requests & discussion

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: [glob2-devel] Some feature requests & discussion
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:03:14 +0100

Hello!

About the guard areas (the blue ones) - i think there should be some better
repartition of the units within these areas. Over time the game should make
that the density of warriors for all areas is about the same everywhere.
Because now warriors just go to the nearest area. This makes it useless to
guard some backdoors.

About conversion, I think that there is one major thing missing: A while ago I
suggested a counter showing you how much units you win or lose... This is
great but once again what I told nct was only undersood half. I think it is
really important to know to WHO the units go... because currently there's
just no way to know who is stealing your units and this makes it very hard to
know how to react and who to attack. What do you think about a little graph
like one of the two attached? Perhaps this graph would only show the units
converted during the last 2 minutes to show more the tendency than the
overall thing, because what the player needs it to be able to react quickly
to unit conversion.

Also there should be a color-blind friendly option. That option would activate
that a small player number would be shown next to each element that is only
differ by the color (it could also be possible to show the name of the player
- but this can take more space to display). Like each globul would have a
little number near the already existing icon of what the globule transports -
same for buildings. Also on stuffl like the graph i just suggested we could
add the number of each player. This would also make the game easier to use
for everybody as soon as there are a lot of teams (above 8 teams it gets
really hard to see the difference of the colors).

What I think makes a game interesting is if there are multiple strategies that
allow each to block another strategy. Now in glob2 we have three cool
strategies (military forces, conversion, clean resouces) - but not yet a
strong interaction between the strategies. I think that the problem is that
conversion and cleaning are too strong. There should be upgrades that allow
to prevent systematic conversion and to defend better ressources from being
cleared - and then again other strategies that make these upgrades useless.
We should make some graphs about how such an upgrade system could work to be
interesting. But this reflection would of course not be for an immediate
implementation - something like post stable release.

Gabriel