Re: certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for informatio

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:15:51 +0000

On 2004-11-14 12:05:54 +0000 Graham Seaman <address@hidden> wrote:

http://www.ecdl-linux.de/
German, can't understand enough to follow what's going on there - I have seen complaints in English that all that's available in reality in Germany is still MS based. Can anyone read this? [...]

Yes, although it's not very easy for me. It was ECDL on SuSE 8.0, KDE 3 and StarOffice 6, started in 2002. Looks like it might build on a smaller trial. I am not sure if it is still running (site's Last-Modified is 2002, although there is news on the page form 2003...), or what their findings have been. It's run by DLGI who seem to be a (the?) German ECDL agent and their head is one of the six ECDL-Foundation directors.

I think the complaints you have seen might be correct: as far as I understand it, the ECDL Linux site lists 10 test centres, while the main ecdl.de site lists 879 test centres.

Does anyone know what's going on in other European countries - or even better, anything going on here? [...]

If you want, you might get more answers from posting that question to schoolforge (address anyone?) or address@hidden lists.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
 Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/