certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information]

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: certification [was: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information]
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:05:54 +0000

Ian Lynch wrote:

If you want a FLOSS-freindly certification system that can be done
alongside the National Curriculum with very little additional work for
teachers take a look at www.theINGOTs.org and become an INGOT Academy.
We will be using revenue derived to produce educational resources under
creative commons licenses and supporting free software development.
Talking of Ingots - every so often I've heard discussion of a non-ms-bound ECDL. But I can't find anything recent at all in English. All I've found is:

http://www.ecdl-linux.de/
German, can't understand enough to follow what's going on there - I have seen complaints in English that all that's available in reality in Germany is still MS based. Can anyone read this?

http://www.krea.hu/ecdl_linux.htm
Hungarian, understand zilch :-(

http://ecdl.linux.it/
Italian - developing materials for a 100% free software ECDL.

But have also found looking round regional Italian sites that councils are offering ECDLs with openoffice etc, and that a linux based ECDL has been recognised by Italian ECDL adminstrators AICA (similar to UK BCS?) - http://www.aicanet.it/ , although there are still complaints that the MS material is not totally avoidable.

Does anyone know what's going on in other European countries - or even better, anything going on here? The UK site - http://www.ecdl.co.uk/ - says 'ECDL is not restricted to Microsoft applications an testing and training can be done on the Lotus suite of applications. A number of the automated test providers allow tests to be done using Lotus as well as Microsoft.' Which is not a lot of consolation.

Cheers
Graham