Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)

From: Telsa Gwynne
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 17:02:50 +0000

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 05:36:24PM +0000 or thereabouts, ian wrote:

> It will not cover all things. I should think the reality is that OEM
> Windows and MS Office are by far the biggest revenue generators.

  ...Windows generated a profit of $2,264m on costs of just
  $545m. In other words, of Microsoft's $2,809 million turnover
  on Windows, 81 per cent is pure profit. And even on the Office
  suite (the prime subject of the Becta deal), Microsoft made
  $1,591m profit on costs of $696m - a profit margin of 69 per cent.

Extracted from "Overpriced, overhyped, over here", John Naughton's
column in the business comment section of yesterday's Observer.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,1101372,00.html

Telsa