[Fsfe-uk] OpenOffice lending from Libraries

From: Space Bunny
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] OpenOffice lending from Libraries
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 14:04:22 +0000

To let you know copies of OpenOffice.org have been sent to libraries in Edinburgh and elsewhere in Britain. They are properly pressed and have a dvd case with a cover especially made for Library lending. There are special considerations for software lending from libraries.
The cataloguing required is a main element.

See:
http://wiki.northedinburgh.net/twiki/bin/view/NEgroups/OpenSource

This has been a project pushed forward by Bob Kerr who is involved in EdLUG

He said to me that he thought that this was first project of kind in libraries around the world. Is it? It was an effort to get them to consider putting software in the catalogue. These CDs have been officially approved by the Heads of Library information Services for the local councils that they represent. Bob and other helpers will be sending out 3500 CDs to all over the UK, Republic of Ireland, Guernsey. Once one library ready to do it others more likely to follow suit. Patrick Harvie MSP supported the project. Approaches were made to Rhona Brankin MSP in capacity as Chair of the Scottish Library and Information Council (the advisory body to the Secretary of State and Scottish Ministers on Library and information matters).

I hope to try to pull together some more info from Bob Kerr so you can know more about the project and how best to help get free software into libraries. But not sure when this will happen. So feel free to get in touch with Bob in meantime: robertnkerr at hotmail.com .

At moment it maybe easier to get software into libraries if associated with a book. As books is what used to and they have developed systems to deal with cdroms with books.

So one may want to request for your local library:

Moving to Linux: Kiss the Blue Screen of Death Goodbye! Marcel Gagne
Addison Wesley; ISBN: 0321159985
which comes with a version of knoppix ( http://knoppix.net ) .

It will be good to have software in libraries so people realise it is something that should be shared freely.

Also I showed Steve who works in my local library FreeDuc ( http://www.ofset.org/freeduc/ ) who is now a big fan of free software. It made him sad and angry given the computers they had installed in new 'homework centre' were just set up like a cyber cafe with just web browsing (XP/IE6) provide by Syntegra (BT) with no thought for educational software that compliment what people are being taught like is included with FreeDuc.

Cheers,

Micah (aka Space Bunny)