Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:02:09 +0000

On Friday 05 December 2003 11:21 am, MJ Ray wrote:
>  Schools across the UK could save up to £50m on Microsoft software over the
> next three years.

This is somewhat similar to the block procurement for the NHS - the PR then
said something similar (savings of £100m), but didn't focus at all on the
fact that this still meant the NHS was paying nearly £70m for desktop
licenses for the coming three years.

As Richard says, the emphasis needs to be put on the ongoing cost, since these
"savings" are purely notional - if I make something for 20p and usually sell
it at £1 (which is MS' profit margin on Windows), and decide to sell it to
you at 60p, you can do one of two things:
(1) rejoice that you have saved 40p, which is what Clarke has done, or
(2) ask why you couldn't save another 30p (still leaving a goodly 50% profit
margin for MS), or better still, not pay anything at all.

The second one is the one to push.  I spoke to some doctors recently about
free software, and I could see them totting up in their heads where else in
the NHS that £70m could have been spent.

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rydd yn Gymraeg