Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)

From: Corrado Topi
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] [ALUG] Microsoft and schools (fwd)
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:23:43 +0000

> You don't mention the alternatives and these might well be
> unknown to the reader.

You cannot describe the alternatives in the fax to your MP. It is a good rule
to keep the main text within 1 page A4. You can always leave a contact number
or e-mail where they can find you if they are interested. I have been
contacted already several times.

> There are some valid reasons for using Windows -

I am not denying it. I am saying that if the reasons are financial and/or
efficacy in education, then the decision is most likely to be wrong. If you
have other reasons (not financial, and not connected with efficacy in
education) then it can be right as well.

> most education software is written to run on Windows and its currently
> what most schools have and know
> the main issue I believe is that
> despite claims of vast savings, there is no transparency to show a) that
> these savings are real and b) that other strategies could not save a lot
> more eg promoting the use of OpenOffice.org instead of Microsoft Office.

How do you show it if not through business analysis? They say there are
financial reasons, but there are no evidences about the methodology used by
Becta. We need to ask for an investigation in order to establish if they
parameters used were correct or not.

Since Becta says the parameters are financial, the methodology is probably not
correct.

In order to establish that, we need an investigation.

> BECTa is an agency funded by the tax payer but its not an integral part
> of the DfES. That calls into question issues of value for money and
> democratic accountability in itself.

Becta is not the only taxpayers body concerned. Educational institutions,
which are mainly funded by taxpayers, are concerned.

As I said, they have to show the taxpayers money are being spent effectively
and efficiently.

Again, we need an investigation, both for transparency and for verifying if
the deal was really financially efficient.
--
Corrado Topi
- . -