Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bruce Prerens' ideas for a 'UserLinux' non-corporate distr

From: ian
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bruce Prerens' ideas for a 'UserLinux' non-corporate distro
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 13:30:31 +0000

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 13:09, Paul wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > >This has hampered the adoption of Linux. For example, a very large
> > >multinational bank recently informed me that they had called off a
> > >10,000-system Linux deployment becuase "Linux is now more expensive than
> > >Windows".
> > >
> > More details please. Was cost the only criteria? I imagine a bank would
> > value other qualities.
>
> The PHB at the top/bottom of the food/evolution chain had probably been
> talked to by some dumbass from Redmond and mentioned the evil SCO and
> put the fear of FUD into them.
>
> I can think of only one circumstance where Linux would be even close to
> being more expensive that Windows and that would be if a company relied
> totally on (say) Access for everything, but even there that could be
> countermanded as you can export Access to MySQL...

MS Server 2003 is only about £80 to schools including 5 CAL. Its
interesting that this is about the same as OEM windows for a single
client. MS had to come in at a very low price in schools when Novell
dominated - I guess they thought they would capture the market and then
put up the price but Linux servers have put paid to that.

--
ian <address@hidden>