[Fsfe-uk] Re: Accountants

From: Richard Ibbotson
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Accountants
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 19:51:19 +0000

Oliver

> I was an accountant once and am still a member of the Institute.
> One of my long-term aims has been to write a GPL accounting
> package, though I haven't yet had the time to do more than a few
> sketches.  I would like to work with people on specifying it.

Oh ... Oliver :)  I've not heard anything from you for at least a
year.   Hope you are well.

Having had a look through the entire rack full of MS killer apps and
the entire rack of GNU/Linux killer apps I know that the one true and
certain way of getting the attention of the international financial
community is by providing them with accountancy software that fits in
with standards in the local area and international standards as well.
 So,  the .RPM and .DEB packages lend themselves to this very well.
You can add or subtract a package to increase functionality or
decrease it in the way that you might want.  Good way to do things ?

In our case in the UK Governement PKI standards come to mind as an
obvious issue.  This is what stopped Jalia from becoming a success.

My own pet accountant is completely hopeless with computers but even
his own perception of GNU/Linux firewalls and Samba servers is that
they are much better than anything else that he has seen. So, he'd
like to see more of them.  Or, better still, move to GNU/Linux on his
desktop.  Which he can't due to the lack of an accounting package.

I think specifying a standard for an office package for financial use
is probably something of a severe test of somones or anyones
organisational abilities ?

Thanks

--
Richard