Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed constitution for a UA

From: Oliver Elphick
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed constitution for a UA
Date: 12 Feb 2002 11:48:21 +0000

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 08:19, Marc Eberhard wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 02:42:48AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > I'd appreciate more hard and fast pointers on uses of GPG.
>
> You're not lookin for http://www.gnupg.org/, but something real, I guess?
> Couldn't find success stories or legal discussions about using it for voting
> etc.

The Debian Project conducts its votes by GnuPG-signed emails. The system
has been working satisfactorily for a couple of years.

An organisation using this method needs to maintain its own keyring and
ensure that all keys are signed by some other member so as to maintain
its web of trust.  It also needs to make sure that members understand
the process of key-signing; keys must only be signed if the key owner
produces official identification and personally verifies the key
fingerprint to the signer.  Failure at this point compromises the whole
web of trust.

--
Oliver Elphick                                address@hidden

     "When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers,
      the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; What
      is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of
      man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a
      little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him
      with glory and honour."            Psalms 8:3-5