Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed constitution for a UA

From: Matthew King
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Proposed constitution for a UA
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 01:46:38 +0000

And behold that on Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:51:15PM +0000, MJ Ray did thus
splutter:

> All comments are welcome, but this was drafted by smarter people
> than me, so I'd prefer to only change details (the bits in []s and
> the obvious additions).

 4(a)(1) Individuals of 18 years and over who are interested in
         furthering the work of the Association ...

Is there a legal reason why only over 18? Remember that a significant
proportion of geeks are not.

 5(b) ... no Honorary Officer shall hold office for more than [ two
      (2) ] consecutive years.

I never have seen a [reasonable] point in this. I understand the
arguments, but none of them stand up.

 6(c) ... no Committee member shall hold office for more than [ four
      (4) ] years.

Again.

 16 ...

Email is more insecure even than what passes for mail today. Some
mention of GPG should probably be in here.

And, of course, email voting, as mentioned by other people.

Speaking of GPG, I am pretty sure that some legal blurb for usage of
GPG exists. If not, I'm sure it can't be that hard to write.

Perhaps it could become a parliamentary act, as [I think] Brazil.

> I'd like to move forwards with this swiftly.  If enough of us are
> going to the RMS talk, maybe we could adopt this constitution
> beforehand?

I shan't be. Mind you being the 12th today, I should probably have
responded to this a tad sooner.

Matthew

--
K++  w--- O-- M+ V? PS+>++ PE(--) Y+>++ PGP+++@ t+ 5-- X+(-) R tv-