RE: Logging Library-GSOC

From: armin
Subject: RE: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 16:09:10 +0100

Hi Priyesh,

> I have updated the progress report for this week @
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X5ApmVxz0pXcGUCF9Um5VhVZV403LWDIYFbKYg1aLoQ/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks for your update & write-up, looks promising :)  I agree with your
approach of trying to find the most lightweight C logger that does the job,
just two quick questions about your work:

(1) do you plan to mainly using the logger to write to files and an equivalent
of `stderr` consistently across multiple platforms or do you also plan to use
it to replace some of the handling that's currently done within FreeType (like
checking + parsing log levels + components, etc) with calls to that library?  I
believe it would be especially interesting if we managed to move some of the
components handling out of FT and into that external piece.  Not sure however,
if any of these libraries have a somehow direct mapping of how components
(modules) are used for tracing within FT currently (essentially, all
components/modules can be configured with their own trace level).

(2) have you looked into log4c at any point?  Not saying it is what FreeType
needs but something that worked reasonably well for me a while ago;  might be a
lot bigger than what we need or have other downsides, just asking b/c I
couldn't see it in your list.

Best
Armin