Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Priyesh kumar
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2020 06:39:12 +0530

Hi Werner,

>What is your favourite logging library right now?

I am currently looking at a library called EasyLogger ( Github Link: https://github.com/armink/EasyLogger ).
I would say it could be my favourite logging library as it satisfies most of the requirements. But the problem is that
the plugin which this library uses for outputting logs to file uses <unistd.h>  :-P, therefore is not working on windows.
I will contact the authors asking for their guidance for this case, and if things work out I will consider this library for integration.
Other than that I think zf_log is my favourite one till now...

>Hmm.  Maybe it makes sense to contact the authors or maintainers of
>these libraries, asking for advice how Windows support is intended to
>work.  Maybe this link also helps

Thanks, I will do so...

Thanks,
Priyesh

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 9:33 AM Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

Hello Priyesh,

> This week I have explored several libraries and I have prepared a
> report mentioning their pros and cons @here
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X5ApmVxz0pXcGUCF9Um5VhVZV403LWDIYFbKYg1aLoQ/edit?usp=sharing>

thanks for that.  Very informative.  A quick comment: I think we can
move on, requiring C99 for building FreeType.  This standard is more
than 20 years old...

  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2150938/can-i-get-unixs-pthread-h-to-compile-in-windows

> I have also tried Cygwin to compile these libraries on windows but
> got no success...  Is there a way to compile these libraries on
> windows other than using Visual Studios and Cygwin?  More
> importantly, should I consider such libraries?

These are good questions.  Were I the author of such a library, I
would use preprocessor conditionals to surround code that is
platform-dependent, either to disable the functionality, or to provide
a replacement.