Re: Logging Library-GSOC

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2020 17:04:47 +0200 (CEST)

> The gnulib repository provides a module 'unistd' for creating a
> 'unistd.h' header file; this works on Windows too.
>
>   https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/

By the way, the gnulib repository also provides an interface to
threads – including Windows.  If you install the corresponding modules
you automatically get a configure option

  --enable-threads={posix,windows,isoc}

(with MSVC and mingw support for 'windows').  The very recent commit
10cf67b5e333 in the gnulib repository describes the available modules
and options for multithreading.

Note that my knowledge of thread programming is zero, so please handle
my observations with some care.

Of course, it is problematic for FreeType license-wise to rely on
gnulib since the latter uses the LGPLv2+ license.  On the other hand,
linking with a logging library would be mainly used for debugging
purposes and not for end products, so a dependency on LGPLv2+ might be
OK if the corresponding code is properly guarded with preprecessor
conditionals (which is a good idea anyway).