RE: Logging Library-GSOC

From: armin
Subject: RE: Logging Library-GSOC
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 12:33:13 +0100

Hi Priesh,

>> In previous mails, Armin suggested to move some of the FreeType's
>> logging functionality to the external logger but according to my
>> analysis, none of the external logging libraries that I have
>> explored exactly matches the logging architecture of FreeType
>> (i.e. logging based on debug level of components and debug levels of
>> trace calls).  According to me, this is not possible with dlg
>> library [...]
>
> This is not a problem at all.

Don't worry about that -- I was just thinking out loud about things we could do
:)

> (For Armin){
> I have looked into log4c, [...] but I am not sure about it on windows [...]
> }

I do like that notation style ;)  Apart from that I for sure have not used it
on Windows;  don't worry about that either and thanks for double-checking! :)

As you are now moving into the implementation phase of your project I would
quickly like to recall my message from about a month ago:
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2020-05/msg00165.html.
Don't worry about exact naming and we might need more functions and/or more
arguments but outlining the general idea:  I would very much appreciate it if
we could find a way to wrap FT logging into a public interface that works
something along these lines.  So basically there's a default log callback
implemented internally that listens to environment variables (and/or other,
more dynamic inputs) and then there's a way to overwrite this callback from the
outside by providing (a) custom function(s).  All details are obviously up for
discussion :)