Re: [ft-devel] [08/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [08/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:00:01 +0100 (CET)

[Please reply to the list, CCing Antti.]

> For what it's worth: by testing I too found out that the common 2.2
> gamma correction was way too much, visually.  After testing, I
> concluded that it looked best around 1.4, and after I found out that
> it's exactly how Windows was calibrated by default too, I realized
> it's the best average value.  But that's pretty far from 2.2 so I
> don't quite understand where that popular 2.2 gamma comes from.

On my GNU/Linux box, I use a gamma of 1.8 for my display, which works
quite fine and is not too bright...  So may value 2.2 is intended to
compensate uncorrected displays.

> A problem I have however is that a small or average sizes, at low
> PPI, most popular fonts have stems slightly thinner than a full
> pixel, & thus text can look too light.

Hmm, if the energy gets distributed evenly (this is, the gamma is
correct), this shouldn't be a problem since the gray values of, say,
two 50%/50% lit pixels sums up to 100% as if it were a single black
pixel.