[ft-devel] [01/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] [01/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:45:32 +0100 (CET)

Werner Lemberg replied to Dave Arnold:

  > I'd be interested in knowing if the person requesting less
  > darkening was using linear blending (a.k.a.  gamma correction).
  > This is likely to become an issue for us, given Google/Asus'
  > apparent decision to stop using linear blending for text on the
  > Nexus tablet I was looking at.  Using gamma 1.0 makes black text
  > look darker, but in an uncontrolled way.  In such a system, the
  > stem darkening makes it worse.

    http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2013-06/msg00032.html

  [which refers to an e-mail from Octoploid]

and Octoploid answered:

  No. I'm using a standard gamma of 2.2.
  (But the font that I mostly use (Lexicon from Bram de Does) is quite
  dark by design.  Darkening it too much makes it appear bold even in
  when using the "Light" weight.)