Re: [ft-devel] [08/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType

From: another gol
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [08/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 11:17:26 +0100

No, I'm not talking about a whole pixel line spread over 2 pixels, I'm talking about dimmed fonts due to the fact that a stem is smaller than a pixel in width.
It's not a technical problem at all, it just seems to be how most popular fonts are designed, stems a little thinner than a pixel at small, screen-size sizes.

The only solution would be something similar to hinting, but ensuring widths of at least 1 pixel, not actually snapping anything to pixels, just ensuring a minimum width.
My quick & dirty solution was to play with gamma at small sizes.

Of course, hinting may already deal with this (not sure if FT's hinting does, because it snaps only one side of lines), but you don't necessarily want hinting (I'm only using vertical hinting).