[ft-devel] [05/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] [05/08] gamma correction issues with FreeType
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 05:49:30 +0100 (CET)

>From Octoploid:

  > I've found this page
  >
  >   https://bel.fi/alankila/lcd/
  >
  > that seems to explain the issue quite well, even providing
  > formulae.

    http://www.sjbrown.co.uk/2004/05/14/gamma-correct-rendering/

  may also be interesting.

  > I also wonder which operating system or application Octoploid is
  > using...

  I'm running a stock Linux system (Gentoo).
  This is my .fonts.conf:

    <?xml version='1.0'?>
    <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
    <fontconfig>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="rgba">
       <const>vrgb</const>
      </edit>
     </match>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
       <bool>false</bool>
      </edit>
     </match>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="hinting">
       <bool>false</bool>
      </edit>
     </match>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle">
       <const>hintnone</const>
      </edit>
     </match>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="lcdfilter">
       <const>lcddefault</const>
      </edit>
     </match>
     <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
     <match target="font">
      <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
       <bool>true</bool>
      </edit>
     </match>
    </fontconfig>

  I wonder which component is responsible for this issue?
  Maybe freetype should somehow check for this problem at
  configuration time and then transform from sRGB to linear RGB and
  back by itself?