Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Nesting Sections in Muse.

From: Jim Ottaway
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Nesting Sections in Muse.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:36:23 +0100

>> Is this for the nesting of lists rather than sections, or does it do
>> something "nested" with sections as well?  Nested lists are definitely
>> a good idea.

Of course they do, I imagined there might be some other kind of
nesting that I hadn't heard of.

> Sections already nest! So, yeah, it's just meant for lists.

>> Goodness me, I have been using Emacs for ages, and I had no idea there
>> was an `assoc' package.

> It been there since 96 as far as I can see. Funnily enough
> written by Barry Warsaw, who also wrote the ht2html environment
> that I use.

> Emacs needs more of this. "assoc" is really nice. Building alists
> use to be a complete pain in the ass. With the recent introduction
> of hashtables, it's now getting a reasonable set of higher level
> data tools. I wish they'd put elib in as standard also.

> Add on top of that some better GUI tools-- when I wrote my pabbrev
> package, I had to write a "dialog" because emacs didn't have one.
> Actually, worse, it had one with ispell but it's inseperable.

I have reinvented the assoc list functions wheel several times in
different contexts.

> Finally, I want semantic, (a bison port for emacs). The parsing
> functionality in muse is nicely done, and well written, but when
> reading it, I do think "this must have been done before". Semantic
> would be a great way to go for all of the many "language aware"
> packages in Emacs, muse included.

> So, I rambling. There's always new packages to discover (did you ever
> see sregex...wonderful!), but I still want more!!!

Yes, I know sregex.

What I would really like is a defstruct implemented outside of the cl
package, so that one could use it freely [the cl package is anathema
to some].  It would make lots of code like (nth 5 thing-list) and
(cadddr thing-list) much easier to read.

--
Jim Ottaway