RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Nesting Sections in Muse.

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: RE: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Nesting Sections in Muse.
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:20:42 +0100

Jim Ottaway wrote:

>> I've knocked up this package which supports nested
>> sections for muse. At the moment, it only does unordered
>> lists, but it's relatively naturally extensible to
>> ordered as well.
>
>> For it to work properly, it really needs changes to
>> core muse, and, in particular, the publishing model,
>> which means that all styles would have to be supported
>> (to differentiate, "start list", "list item" and "end list").
>
>> Would there be any interest in this? I'm quite happy
>> to contribute the work.
>
> Is this for the nesting of lists rather than sections, or does it do
> something "nested" with sections as well?  Nested lists are definitely
> a good idea.

Sections already nest! So, yeah, it's just meant for lists.

> Goodness me, I have been using Emacs for ages, and I had no idea there
> was an `assoc' package.

It been there since 96 as far as I can see. Funnily enough
written by Barry Warsaw, who also wrote the ht2html environment
that I use.

Emacs needs more of this. "assoc" is really nice. Building alists
use to be a complete pain in the ass. With the recent introduction
of hashtables, it's now getting a reasonable set of higher level
data tools. I wish they'd put elib in as standard also.

Add on top of that some better GUI tools-- when I wrote my pabbrev
package, I had to write a "dialog" because emacs didn't have one.
Actually, worse, it had one with ispell but it's inseperable.

Finally, I want semantic, (a bison port for emacs). The parsing
functionality in muse is nicely done, and well written, but when
reading it, I do think "this must have been done before". Semantic
would be a great way to go for all of the many "language aware"
packages in Emacs, muse included.

So, I rambling. There's always new packages to discover (did you ever
see sregex...wonderful!), but I still want more!!!

Phil