[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner - Plan Pages - Tasks

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Planner - Plan Pages - Tasks
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:33:18 +0800

Chris McMahan <address@hidden> writes:

> That's a good question. Unless I have a specific date in mind, I
> always default to placing tasks on today's page (the suggested value
> on creating a task)

Oh, you might find this handy. The following code automatically
schedules a task onto today unless you use C-u to mean prompt for a
date.

(defun sacha/planner-read-task ()
  "Return a list of information for a task.
Universal prefix means don't schedule the task onto today."
  (list
   (read-string "Describe task: ")
   (if current-prefix-arg
       (planner-read-date)
     (planner-today))
   (when planner-use-plan-pages
     (let ((planner-default-page
            (if (and (planner-derived-mode-p 'planner-mode)
                     (planner-page-name)
                     (not (string-match planner-date-regexp
                                        (planner-page-name))))
                (planner-page-name)
              planner-default-page)))
       (planner-read-non-date-page
        (planner-file-alist))))
   planner-default-task-status))
(defalias 'planner-read-task 'sacha/planner-read-task)

> On trying this, the task is only placed in the page I specify on
> creating it (the plan page you're on, or if on the daily page, the
> taskpool), but not the daily page. No daily page, no task to carry
> forward.

Alternatively, you can make planner-expand-name-default nil to default
to unscheduled tasks... =)

> You can default to a single page for all of your unscheduled tasks
> as well, and then access that task page when prioritizing the tasks.
> Go to the task and execute the function
> The disadvantage here is that the task is now separated from the
> plan page that it might relate to. hmmm....

Why not use planner-multi to associate it with both? =)
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, CS ed