[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-reports!

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: planner-reports!
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 23:45:25 +0800

Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:

>> This "reports" approach would avoid modifying the planner file
>> format.
> I don't understand what is being "reported".  Can you expand on this
> idea somewhat?  As a guess I think you somehow want a
> context-sensitive report of a certain subject.  Sounds interesting.
> Not sure how it would work.

Hey, that's a pretty cool idea!

I think we can retain the simple, vi-able (eek!) planner pages we
already have but still enjoy metadata like task dependencies,
subtasks, and whatever if we store the metadata in a separate file and
generate reports based on those. Tentatively, we can use the task IDs.
For example:

{{Tasks:1}} <- {{Tasks:2}}

might mean that Tasks:2 is a subtask of Tasks:1. With a lot of data
structure manipulation, we should get a nice tree out of this.

{{Tasks:1}} -> {{Tasks:3}}

could mean that Tasks:1 depends on Tasks:3. (depends: and
subtasks: seem like synonyms. Maybe we can remove one.)

Hmm, actually,

{{Tasks:1}} {{Tasks:2}} sub

might be easier to parse or something like that.

Then we could also have see-alsos linking tasks to notes and notes to
other notes and... well... you get the point.

The downside of this is that this file can get Pretty Big, but it just
might work.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun