Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Daily page vs. project page

From: Michael Alan Dorman
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Daily page vs. project page
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 10:07:27 -0400

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:
> What would be a nice way of supporting hierarchical tasks? I
> strongly feel that we need to support hierarchical tasks, but am not
> sure as to what would be a good interface for them. How will they be
> represented in text? How will they appear onscreen?

I like the idea of having hierarchical tasks.  I wonder how they will
fit with task priorities---can subtasks have different priorities than
the parent, etc.  It's mostly an academic wondering, though, since I
don't actually use task priorities myself.

ISTM that the obvious way to identify hierarchical tasks, from a
textual standpoint, is via the task id---I would think defining the
task id to be a dotted decimal string instead of an integer would give
us the ability to do whatever we want, as well as providing backwards
compatibility.

So a subtask of task 17 is task 17.1, a subtask of that task is
17.1.7, so on and so forth, no doubt to some absurd level.

Current tasks are non-hierarchical anyway, and, guess what, that's
exactly what would be indicated by their un-dotted task ids or their
lack of a task-id at all.

Mike
--
It still insists that we beg for our purity -- Jeff Buckley