Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 16:34:35 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-11-05 15:55]:

> Boruch Baum <boruch_baum@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > On 2020-11-05 09:05, Arthur Miller wrote:
> >> I hope that Boruch does not take it as personal critique
> >
> > Not at all. It was a good read; here's some feedback.
> >
> >> I don't use Sunrise
> >
> > My memory from looking at it years ago was that it was non-functioning
> > abandon-ware.
> No idea if it is abandon-ware; I don't use it; I used some year ago and it
> was quite competent.

Sunrise commander uses mnay built-in Emacs functions. Except of cl
deprecated library there are no compiler warnings. All features of
Sunrise Command immitate well Midnight Commander. Function keys are
well set for mc key bindings. M-y and M-u go back and forward in
history. It has good file name and marked file names expansions in
eshell or term how is expected for users of Midnight Commander. There
are good extensions as well. It is useful for users switching from
`mc' to Emacs somehow, or those who are used to type of proprietary
Norton Commander from non-free operating systems. It is already
history.

Well written software is not abandon ware for sole reason that does
not have many recent commits, in fact it could speak for the quality
of software.

I like that Emacs stuff is displayed on Emacs Wiki rather than
scattered all around Internet on non-free Github. Here it is:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sunrise_Commander

> Looking at github, it seems like last commit was ~6 month ago:
>
> https://github.com/sunrise-commander/sunrise-commander

Better one in 6 months than 50 in one week. Files are most important
for users and file manager extensions shall be very reliable.