Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 20:56:27 +0300

* Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> [2020-11-05 19:20]:
> That is why we have completers like Helm. I never look at bookmarks. I
> use Helm which completes them with a key or two.
> To be honest I don't use bookmarks much either; I have just few places
> that would otherwise require me to navigate through path completion.

For me bookmarks are very handy to jump to exact place or heading in a
file like Org file that I can export particular Org section and
transfer it into email, rather then find-file and opening file and
searching for a section in text.

Also it is very handy to remember remote paths for Tramp or deep paths
on local file system. While I do use completion outside of Emacs, the
built-in TAB completion within Emacs works also well and maybe with
same number of keys.

It is better bookmarks are together as it is more useful:

- bookmark can bring user to specific file, specific line, in Dired,
  opened as directory, sometimes user wish to just fine the file, but
  not open it.

- bookmark can bring user to open specific file, usually to specific
  place in the file

> > For the second, I think this actually hints at a need for the generic
> > bookmark-selection functionality to offer a way to first select a *type*
> > of bookmark and only then pick a name among the remaining candidates.
> I think we already have that. Helm for example is one such.

Isn't selection of type of a bookmark somehow already automatic?

Bookmarks and completion functions are separate. I always need to
bookmark it and how I choose bookmark later depends of packages I am
using.

Helm is not in GNU ELPA and is huge as a package. That means that on
number of computers when somebody manages many computers on remote
places all over the world that remote package has to be installed,
that takes time. Sometimes VPS is opened just for an hour or day to
provide specific server or for testing. GNU ELPA packages are way
easier to reach then modifying the archive list, downloading huge
sometimes busy list of outside packages and choosing helm and bunch of
other packages.

ivy and counsel are in GNU ELPA and ivy-* and counsel-* functions can
give great insight.