Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2020 04:22:32 -0500

On 2020-11-05 09:05, Arthur Miller wrote:
> I hope that Boruch does not take it as personal critique

Not at all. It was a good read; here's some feedback.

> I don't use Sunrise

My memory from looking at it years ago was that it was non-functioning
abandon-ware.

> Unfortunately for some features, as I read the diredc code; I would
> probably be annoyed if they were in dired. Particularly if dired asked
> yes/no if I really wish to bookmark a place and if I wish to start
> diredc. If user bothered to press a 4-letter combination, then I think
> we can be sure the user wish to create that bookmark; it is really
> unnecessary to ask if I am really sure :-). Just my opinion.

You read that snippet of code incorrectly. No such prompt.

> History handling: can it not be handled by recentf/winner modes already?

I've been a long-time happy user of winner, and found the answer to be
no. Winner operates on all windows of a frame, not just the current
dired buffer. Thus, if you had in your window configuration history
temporary quick-shell buffer-windows or quick-file-view buffer-windows,
they would pop in and out if you were using winner-undo to navigate
sequentially in your dired history. Also, does winner-mode have a
quick-jump to a specific history element?

> I am not particulary against custom history handling, but recentf
> already does it and winner has undo/redo stack maybe they can be reused?

When I had tried recentf years ago, I was disappointed that its only
interface was the ncurses menu. Is that still the case? In any event,
a recentf menu will include ALL recently visited items, so that list
will be a mixture of emacs files and dired buffers and who knows what
else; a user would need to visually filter out the path-names ending
with a file from those ending with a directory ...

> Other functionality I would like to see is some from dired-hacks: toggle
> and filters.

What do you mean by "toggles and filters"?

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0