Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Friendlier dired experience [CODE INCLUDED]
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 13:55:26 -0500

>> How 'bout we add it to GNU ELPA and then we work on integrating some of
>> the code into Dired
> I'm fine with integrating parts of it into dired, but I wouldn't want it
> done in a way that breaks the stand-alone package. In other words, the
> feature super-set (updated) copy from the github upstream should always
> continue to work.

Of course.  This said, in many/most cases, integration requires changes
which end up having some impact on the actual user-visible
functionality.  Whether they're considered as "breaking" or not is often
a question of point of view.

>>  (i.e. the part that makes sense within Dired itself)?
> What part do you have in mind?

I don't have any in mind: I use neither Dired nor anything like
midnight-commander (I do my file-management with zsh, and I don't even
do that within Emacs), so I'm not the best person to make such calls.

But clearly, some parts of diredc.el don't make sense within Dired
because they're specific to the dual-pane setup, whereas Dired is
a single-buffer mode, meant to be independent from window layout.

        Stefan