RE: eww and bookmarks

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: eww and bookmarks
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 07:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

> For tinfoil-hat reasons, I'm hesitant about the idea of having a single
> bookmark list for both local and network resources, and both emacs and
> non-emacs launching. I don't want a situation where there might be
> uncertainty which program is about to be launched or whether the
> network
> is going to accessed and what follow-on 'stuff' my device will end up
> doing.
>
> That doesn't mean I oppose the notion of a single 'grand unified'
> bookmark list, just that I would want some clear indication in advance
> of what is about to happen should I open any specific link.
>
> Maybe what would be sufficient for those concerns would be a pair of
> visual cues: one for 'local/network', and a second for
> 'emacs/external'.
> Then an interested user could query a bookmark's details for further
> information, or just click-through. The visual cues might not even need
> to take up additional screen space: maybe it would be sufficient to
> underline network bookmarks, and to italicize bookmarks that launch
> external programs.

I'm not sure just what you're replying to,
but different bookmark types can be created.

So sure, you could have any number of different
kinds of bookmarks for URLs or whatever.  And,
at least with Bookmark+, you can have different
types look different in the displayed bookmark
list.  And you can sort that list by type.