Re: eww and bookmarks

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: eww and bookmarks
Date: Mon, 25 May 2020 06:28:20 +0200

Matthias Meulien <address@hidden> writes:

> > How should the bookmarks behave?  Should they be exact counterparts
> > of eww bookmarks?
>
> I went through what eww info manual says on bookmarks and used those
> bookmarks once to understand what is the provided feature; I can't
> find anything not available from standard bookmarks. Can you give
> details on what would be lost if eww used bookmarks.el?

I don't think anything would be lost.  My setup is very different (I'm
saving Internet-related bookmarks in firefox and consult them from
Emacs), so I want to find out what a behavior users expect/prefer.

> > Should they be linked to eww, or should it be possible to open them
> > also with another browser (e.g. w3m).
>
> May be use `browse-url-default-browser`, but it's a different
> discussion IMOH; The current need is to make the user life simpler
> with a single place to search their bookmarks

Yes, but we need to specify some handler for the bookmarks, so it's
something to decide now.

> > Finally, what should I specify as `defaults' list for the name
> > suggestions available when you are prompted for a name for a new
> > bookmark?  Just the url?
>
> An HTML document may have a "title" element; Isn't it possible to use
> the value of that element when available? And the URL otherwise.

I'll have a look.

Thanks,

Michael.