difference between elpa/README and Package Archive *info*

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: difference between elpa/README and Package Archive *info*
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 10:18:52 -0400

Hello,

I'm reading up on how to include Emms in elpa.

The info node (elisp) Packaging > Package Archives, describes creating a
tar file and a NAME-pkg.el file. It mentions https://elpa.gnu.org
specifically.

But the README file at (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs/elpa.git)
elpa/README states that elpa.gnu.org doesn't use tar files, nor do you
need to create a NAME-pkg.el file.

Is it that elpa.gnu.org is implemented differently? If so, the info file
that references it should probably reflect how elpa.gnu.org actually
works, how it differs from the "stock" setup, and why.

Or perhaps the README is more updated on how elpa works than the info.
In that case the info should be updated.

What is the relationship between the info and README descriptions? Will
they eventually converge?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. Since I can see no mailing list dedicated to elpa.gnu.org, I'll be
mailing me various elpa questions here, unless I'm directed elsewhere.