Re: Line wrap reconsidered

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Line wrap reconsidered
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 18:20:19 +0300

> From: Yuan Fu <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 16:31:36 -0400
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden
>
> I saw someone mentioning Line_Break.txt from unicode and looked it up,
> unicode commission has already marked out all wrap-able code points. IIUC we
> can add Line_Break.txt to admin/unidat and parse it and put a elisp file
> under /lisp/international, right? We can categoarize all the marked code
> points into three categories as I mentioned earlier.

Line_Break.txt is a data file, but its use is for implementing the
Unicode Line Breaking Algorithm, which is described in UAX#14, the
Unicode Standard Annex #14.  You can find its URL at the beginning of
Line_Break.txt; I suggest to read it.  Implementing that algorithm is
something we should do, and when we do, we indeed need to import the
data in that file into Emacs and use it.  I don't see a reason to
import the data in Line_Break.txt without implementing the algorithm,
or at least most of it.