Re: The importance of secrecy

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: The importance of secrecy
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 00:40:07 +0200

Joost Kremers <address@hidden> writes:

> Note that these "anonymous" modes that modern browser implement really
> only serve to hide one's browsing history from family members and
> flat/room/office mates that you share your computer with. It has
> nothing to do with secrecy or anonymity on the internet. So porn-mode
> really isn't that much of a misnomer.

Indeed.  I had no idea that my lame joke would get Stefan's serious
reaction, but in this reality, all we can expect from "anonymous
browsing" is that the next person who opens our web browser won't be
confronted by our browsing history.  That's not nothing -- it's a
valuable thing -- but we can't in any serious way present that mode as
being "anonymous".

We're still being tracked, and people at risk have to use completely
different methods to remain safe.  I mean, safer.