Re: The importance of secrecy

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The importance of secrecy
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:53:52 -0400

> Note that these "anonymous" modes that modern browser implement really only
> serve to hide one's browsing history from family members and
> flat/room/office mates that you share your computer with.

Until your computer is subpoena'd, stolen, hacked into, accidentally
mishandled, ...

Whether you personally feel like these are serious threats to you right
now is not the point.  Information can easily be preserved for years, so
even those same pieces of data about which you don't care right now might
turn into very serious matters 10 years from now because your situation
or the world around you has changed.

To be honest, I feel like using exclusively Free Software, shying away
from cell phones and centralized systems like Facebook/Whatsapp/..., and
preferring good'ol cash makes me look pretty close to the prototypical
sophisticated criminal living "off-the-grid" in your average policial TV
series.  The only saving grace is that I constantly post to public
mailing-lists like this one ;-)

        Stefan