RE: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engin

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engines, ...
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:24:33 -0700 (PDT)

> Another feature I'd like to add: a global "history" file.
> It would record all visited URI.
>
> It's convenient to search URLs that we know we've visited, but not
> necessarily only from a specific buffer.
>
> To make the history persistent, I would store it in a format similar to
> bookmarks but without any of the additional features I'm planning to add
> (tags, search engine, etc.).  There would be the following keys:
> - URL
> - TITLE
> - TIME
>
> Defcustoms would include:
> - The persistent file.
> - The max number of entries to keep (0 for unlimited).  Older entries
>   get deleted first.

FWIW -

Charles mentioned earlier some of the Bookmark+ support for
EWW (normal Emacs bookmarks vs EWW's pseudo-bookmarks, plus
arbitrary tagging, sorting, filtering, multiple bookmark
files, org-mode annotations...).

It seems a bit silly for EWW to have its own, limited form
of "bookmarking".  Perhaps it's time for it to graduate to
Emacs bookmarks?

Another Bookmark+ feature for EWW, relevant to your mail,
is minor mode `bmkp-eww-auto-bookmark-mode'.  When it's
enabled a bookmark is automatically set whenever you visit
a URL with EWW.  (A similar feature exists for Info nodes.)

When enabled, if user option `bmkp-eww-auto-type' is
`create-or-update' then such a bookmark is created for the
URL if none exists.  If the option value is `update-only'
(the default) then no new bookmark is created automatically,
but an existing bookmark gets updated.  You can toggle the
option value with command `bmkp-toggle-eww-auto-type'.

Emacs (real) bookmarks record not only the time of last
visit but also the number of visits.  You can sort by
the number of visits, to easily see your weighted URL
visit history.  (You can also edit the number of recorded
visits.)

In addition, EWW bookmarks with Bookmark+ have their own
visit history.  You can cycle among just the EWW bookmarks
or a subset of them (e.g., those currently visible in the
bookmark-list display, in sort order and filtered).  So
you can cycle among any set of EWW bookmarks, visiting
them in an order you choose.  You need no programming to
do any of this - no knowledge of Lisp.

You can also bookmark a given bookmark-list display,
which persists its visibility/filtering settings and sort
order.  So you can quickly switch among any number of
sequences (navigation lists) of EWW bookmarks to cycle
among.

Bookmark+ navigation lists give you, in this sense, any
number of EWW histories, easy to define and switch among.
And you can tag those different histories any way you
like, and switch among them by tag or tag combinations,
in addition to doing so by bookmark name.

AFAICT, everything you've mentioned so far as possible
improvements of EWW pseudo-bookmarking is already
available with Bookmark+ real bookmarks.  Why reinvent
the wheel and remain incompatible with Emacs bookmarks?

Bookmark+ is in fact a superset of vanilla `bookmark.el'.
It could just replace it in Emacs.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#CyclingNavlist