Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:36:41 +0200

On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:35:45 +0200 (IST), Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> So the answer to the original issue is: I'm assuming the user types
> the search string in the same order as the original text was typed.

You assume too much. The searched buffer text may be written not by
the person who does the search (I think this situation may be very
common). If the searched text is produced by an automatic process
(again very common - formatted man page, html page and so on) then
the buffer will probably will contain some formatting characters
especially in digits punctuation sequences (e.g. catalog numbers or
phone numbers, usually it will be LRM <sequence> LRM). In simple
enough strings (only letters or digits) the order will be probably
be the same, but even of the simple case of phone number (nn-nnn or
nn nnn) the order may differ (not to mention complex phone number
like +972-(0)3-7966-667).

> It is still possible that the search will fail, because the above
> assumption is not true in some cases.  But if those cases are rare,
> the user will simply assume that the search string was typed
> incorrectly and will try another one, perhaps just "CAR".

That is if the user knows that she did not found a text that is in
the buffer. She might just assume the text is not there and happy
about it. What about the global search and replace where only some
of the occurrence will be replaced ?

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign