Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 21:55:29 +0200

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:01:11 +0100, Alex Schroeder <address@hidden> wrote:

> I read UAX#9 as saying that two strings should be equal when the
> logical representation has been transformed into the visual
> representation and all LRM RLM RLO LRO and PDF characters have been
> removed.  Correct?

Yes. What it says in simple words is: If it looks like a duck, walks
like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it MUST be DUCK (or is it ? see
http://www.netbsd.org/Misc/call-it-a-duck.html ).

If the output (visual) is the same then the input (logical) is "equal".

> Will such a function be usefull for Emacs as well?

Yes, when we will apply "visual" search or for comparing files.
I don't think it will implemented any time soon because it means the
whole buffer must be "visualized" for the operation.

AFAIK no existing software support such definition of "equal". All the
program I know search the "logical" string in the ("logical") buffer
and will fail even the simple case of ignoring redundant formatting
characters.

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign