Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [emacs-bidi] adding LRM in visual-to-logical transform
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:14:12 +0200

> From: Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:19:18 +0330 (IRT)
>
> > I read UAX#9 as saying that two strings should be equal when the
> > logical representation has been transformed into the visual
> > representation and all LRM RLM RLO LRO and PDF characters have been
> > removed.  Correct?
>
> No, in my opinion two strings are equal if the logical representation
> is equal when directional marks removed. The definition of UAX#9 says
> that a visual representation is conformant if and only if when
> removing directional marks, the outputs is the same.

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying that these two
logical-order strings are ``equal''?

   he said "I NEED WATER!"
   he said "I NEED WATER!<RLM>"

Perhaps you meant removing the directional marks after resolving the
explicit embeddings?  But if so, the embedding resolution leaves
behind information that is not part of the string itself, so
comparing the strings alone after removing the marks won't tell the
whole story.

What am I missing?