dragora-members

Re: [Dragora-members] Relation of Qi and Qire

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-members] Relation of Qi and Qire
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 19:35:07 -0300

El 2020-06-12 13:18, Michael Siegel escribió:
Am 12.06.20 um 02:06 schrieb Matias Fonzo:
El 2020-06-11 03:48, Michael Siegel escribió:

Okay, but Qi could still simply run Qire as an external command when
necessary and then work with what Qire returns, right?

I guess this could be confusing for users.  Since these are separate
commands, it's best to invoke them separately (if we keep the current
model of two separated commands).

I think this would probably the best way to go about this.

I think it's better to make use of the current interface that Qi already provides, add whatever needs to be added to the Makefile, and invoke the
"extensions".  The interface would do the following, if Qi has
"upgrade", it is complemented with "update" of the Qire extension, and
so on...

(This was not done before because Qire had to be developed.).

Apart from all this, whether it's done or not. I think it will be more
practical for users to have to invoke a single command here for package
managing, and the finer grain in Graft.

I'm afraid I don't really understand what you mean. It kind of seems as
if we were saying the same thing, but then it kind of doesn't.

So, we agree on it being the best for the user to only have to use a
single utility for package management. Now, I'm not sure whether your
comments above imply that this utility should be Qi, or if they imply
that it should be Qire because of how things work together.

I understood that you want Qire's ability in Qi, but I also understood that for a better understanding of both things we should unify or extend with appropriate languages since the package managing is something complex, as Qi currently works well, maybe there is no need to rewrite Qi now (and I hope not :-).

The point of having only one command leads to think that Qi could invoke the "extensions" of Qire, by this I meant part of Qire, not the whole interface, taking into account everything Qi already has, including the documentation format.

This has the advantage that parts of "Qi" will be in Fennel/Scheme/Lips or whatever, while in the future parts or modes of Qi could be replaced in the same language (if needed).

On the other hand, we still don't know how users will interact using qi and qire, it might be positive (I hope).