Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]SourceForge drifting
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 06:49:03 -0500

I think Savannah, and what is now happening there, is the codebase for the future, not Sourceforge or whatever happens to the pre-fork codebase. Being able to setup a Savannah anywhere will be very useful. It is a mistake in my view to have "one" monster site. There are plenty of projects organized around a small community or a campus, and having a Savannah one can role out to manage them locally would be very nice.

At most, what would be nice is a meta-aggregation site, such as thru a search/directory engine for "published" projects on Savannah-like sites. Not all projects need to be published widely; sometimes someone might create a small site and set of projects for personal work, for example. Another example might be a company or organization which has some custom projects and some public projects. Being able to move projects between such sites easily could be nice also.

I think being able to deploy Savannah in a distributed manner, and having a global directory/search engine site that can sit on top of it would meet everyone's needs very well. I also think much of the work that has gone into Savannah will eventually make this become reality.

David

tony stanco wrote:

Bill Lance <address@hidden> wrote:

Although not directly related to dotGNU, this IS very
significant to FS developers.

http://www.fsfeurope.org/news/article2001-10-20-01.en.html

What a unique opportunity to really demonstrate DotGNU
in action by building a distributed WebService by
providing a SourceForge replacement.

I think this is a great idea.  Re-inventing Savannah as a distributed
development environment with the DotGNU webservices platform at
its core would be a great way to showcase DotGNU.  However this
would require some significant changes to Loic's plans for the
next-generation Savannah.

Loic, what do you think about these ideas?

Yes, I would support this completely. The key resources of the community
need to belong to the community, not to a company. Perhaps the university
community could also be involved, though. They have the big pipes already
and generally the right ethical leanings.

Best regards,

Tony Stanco, Esq.
Senior Policy Analyst
Cyberspace Policy Institute