Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: URGENT: Unable to run PROJECTCenter
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 10:18:16 -0400

Krisha,

Have you made certain that the version you installed from the
installer has been completely deleted?   There are .dlls which are
installed in the Tools directory (GNUstep/Local/Tools and
GNUstep/System/Tools) which could interfere with the application
running if they are left behind.

It's important to have the latest GNUstep when building Gorm because,
quite often since there are some interdependencies between Gorm and
gui.   If you've installed Gorm from git, then you have 1.2.18, so you
should make absolutely certain that you have the newest GNUstep core
(gui, back, make and base) from source as well.

Also, from looking at the screenshots you have of PC in your emails
I'm wondering what your settings are.   Did you get rid of the black
areas even when going to 32 bit?   The reason I ask is because GNUstep
had a bug in one of the older releases where it couldn't do any kind
of alpha on Windows.  This was resolved (partially)...  I'm wondering
if you might be using a VERY old release of GNUstep since you said
earlier that you're using the old msys with gcc 3.x.

What I recommend is moving aside what you have and installing the
latest from the binary packages for GNUstep.  Once you have done this,
do a pull from git or checkout via SVN and build from the sources
there for make, base, gui, and back in that order.

First you need to build gnustep-make.  You should do it like this:

./configure --with-layout=gnustep && make install

You then need to build gnustep-base:

./configure --with-installation-domain=SYSTEM && make
GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN=SYSTEM install

Do the same for gnustep-gui and gnustep-back on Windows and you should
be all set.

Once you've done that, you should be able to build ProjectCenter and
Gorm just fine.

If you can't run Gorm I'm not convinced that you have a good install of GNUstep.

Thanks, GC