Re: GNUmail on NetBSD

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUmail on NetBSD
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:41:56 +0200

Hi,

Stefan Bidi wrote:
Why is Pantomine trying to convert a Unicode representation to ASCII? Just seems counter intuitive. Shouldn't it try to convert to UTF-8 or UTF-16, instead? As the method name suggests you may be loosing information when converting from UTF-7 to ASCII, and I can't see why Pantomine would want to do some like that.

I would bring this up with the GNUmail folks as a possible bug.

Pantomime and GNUmail are in a sort of "nobody maintains them" state. Germàn put them on gna in gnustep-nonfsf and did some work on them. I thought of trying to solve some long-standing portability bugs, but unfortunately some bit-rotting happened or the sources we got used were not the best, in any case they need some fixing on linux too.

In other words, if you have patches and ideas, just discuss them with us, here on the mailing list too. And test them :)

As far as I know the only "public" application using Pantomime is GNUmail, or am I wrong?

Riccardo