Re: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 02:14:18 +0100

On 05.12.2003, at 01:50, Rogelio M.Serrano Jr. wrote:
But do we need it to look like native windows such that you dont even know it is
GNUstep? I agree that GNUstep should be cross platform but it is not
Users don't need to know it's GNUstep. They don't care. You're missing the point here, and seem to be doing it rather consistently.

You like objective-c and you want to be able to write once and compile everywhere.
I do get that point. Its not about GNUstep anymore.

Well, personally I do like Foundation and AppKit a lot. I do not care about "write once", since I think that this is not possible, yet I do care about "write 75% once". If I can share the business logic since it only requires gstep-base, I'm fine. If I can share 75% of my UI because the UI resembles AppKit as far as viable on the target UI, I'm happy as well. All that is still GNUstep for me. Just like GDL or gstep-web which are completely platform agnostic.

Anyway, I still recommend that gstep-gui is dumped because it will never be finished and solves the problem of no one ;-) Wrap gtk+ or KDE on Linux, wrap Win32 on Windows, wrap Cocoa on MacOSX - well, got something wrong on the last one ;-)
Oh yes, flames on me ... ;-)

Just like the mozilla suite. Just better implementation.

Well, "Just better implementation" can imply a lot.

Eg GNOME Evolution is supposed to be 700.000+ lines of code. I think the same can be done in about 100.000- LOC in Cocoa and yet provide more and better functionality as well as superior UI.

regards,
  Helge
--
OpenGroupware.org       http://www.opengroupware.org/