Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Pietro Battiston
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 19:00:04 +0100

Il giorno dom, 14/02/2010 alle 17.24 +0000, Richard Shann ha scritto:
> On Sun, 2010-02-14 at 11:03 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > >From the log you provided it shows you don't have jack running and
> > you have fluidsynth set in denemo to use the Jack audio driver.
>
> This raises an important issue: what executables should distros be
> offering from denemo. It seems to me most likely that distros would want
> to offer two packages
>
> denemo
>
> denemo-jack
>
> where the second is built with --enable-jack and defaults to expecting a
> jack server to be running. (BTW if someone presses play when nothing
> will be heard, can we pop up a dialog explaining the situation?)
>
> I don't understand packaging, so don't over-interpret my comments - but
> I notice that quite a few projects have more than one package. If it
> means less dependencies for people who aren't going to be using jack,
> that could be good. OTOH if it is just a matter of setting the default
> to be "use internal synth", and letting people wanting to use JACK set
> it up (they have to set up stuff anyway) then could we do that (i.e.
> just one package that includes both, but defaults to using the internal
> synth).

I don't like very much the idea of the double package, in particular
because I may want to use pulseaudio sometimes with jack and sometimes
without, without reinstalling (notice that the two package would be
incompatible if they provided two files at the same path): some
alternatives I see as more viable are:
- 1 package, but two menu items, one using a particular command line
argument which enables jack (and which I assume it wouldn't be hard to
provide)
- some quick tests at startup "is jack running? if yes, use it. If not:
is pulseaudio running? if yes, use it". Though I admit I ignore the kind
of complexity this may bring in the code, I think it may be a fairly
portable approach (if you're on Windows, pulseaudio will simply not be
running...)

Still, in my opinion, the current situation is not terrible, I will just
change the default.

By the way, some more feedback about audio backends on Ubuntu Karmic
(sorry if that's something you perfectly know):
- as said, ALSA backend doesn't work if pulseaudio is running (though
denemo appears as a client in the pulseaudio volume regulation dialog)
- "InternalSynth" doesn't work at all with ALSA and pulseaudio, and
works very badly with pulseaudio (there is a kind of a constant tremolo)

However portaudio (as "Midi/audio output") works perfectly with all the
three mentioned backends (so I will set this as default).

Thank you for this great release

> BTW Someone mentioned on #denemo that they were hoping take over Debian
> Denemo maintainer role. I am not sure if they are subscribed here...

If you are subscribed, hey, hello! Notice there is a _very_ comfortable
git-buildpackage repository waiting for you! And as far as my (scarce)
skills go, I will happily give any needed help.

Pietro