Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic

From: Till Hartmann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Compilation on Ubuntu Karmic
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:39:58 +0100

The package I will soon push to debian, compiled with all default
options, patched only to change the default audio driver and midi/audio
output (see attachment), runs by default with portaudio and pulseaudio;
then, if the user runs jackd and selects "jack" as audio driver (and
restarts), it uses jack.
This I don't understand. I start with a simple Debian Stable
installation. If I set pulseaudio in the prefs I hear nothing - the
output is

fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested audio driver: pulseaudio

  I hear things if I set oss. So it seems that a naive user installing
the denemo package and just starting denemo will hear no output unless
he has installed pulseaudio (whatever that is). Perhaps when I set oss I
am getting a side effect of some package that I have installed for some
other reason?
PulseAudio is the default audio server for Ubuntu (since 8.10 or so).
Be careful not to confuse ubuntu .deb packages with debian .deb packages (although they are likely going to install and run), as ubuntu and debian ship different libraries or library versions.